Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Beans under pressure - 15 Bean Soup (Pressure Cooker recipe)

After work I raced home to make dinner. This is a usual day, but I've been wanting to try out my pressure cooker and make some bean soup. My mom got one this past year and gave one to everyone she knew for their birthdays. She swears by them. So I knock the dust off and let's see how "magical" this thing is.

15 Bean Soup (Pressure Cooker recipe)


You will need

1 Tbsp olive oil
2 stalks celery
2 carrots
1 medium onion
1 lb. bag 15 bean soup mix (with flavor packet)
1 ham hock or bone
8 cups water
salt & pepper (to taste)




Turn pressure cooker to brown (if you have a fancy electric one as shown above). Heat olive oil and add cut up veggies.


Cook veggies until starting to turn brown (about 10 minutes).

(SO I FORGOT TO TAKE PICTURES AT THIS POINT BECAUSE I WAS CHASING AFTER A 3 YEAR OLD)

Rinse and pick over beans to make sure there are no stones (ouch) or weird looking ones and add to pressure cooker (without flavor packet).

Add water and ham hock as well. Bring to simmer for 10 mintues.

Apply and lock lid and turn up to high pressure for 10 minutes (the pressure always scares me a bit since I've heard horror stories about old cookers lids blowing off. I usually stand back and my husband looks at me like I'm weird). Any way...once completed turn back to low pressure for 20 minutes. At the end of this cycle DON'T RELEASE PRESSURE!! I know you will be tempted, but DON'T DO IT!!! Allow to release "naturally" (can take up to 30 minutes).


TA DA!!! This is what you are left with...delicious bean soup. Now remove the ham hock and pull off the cooked meat and add to the pot. I also add the flavor packet and salt and pepper at this time.

Well it wasn't the fastest meal for a busy week night, but definately quicker than soaking the beans for 24 hours or overnight, rinsing, boiling and cooking for hours on end. Hope you enjoy!!




No comments:

Post a Comment